Thursday, March 27, 2008

Two Great Things Going Great Together

Thing 2 is sick today. She came home last night with red eyes, and in a strange mood. When I read the daily report from daycare, there was a special note that she had been coughing and had a runny nose all day, and that it had bothered her. Then, as I held her on my lap after dinner, which she refused to eat, she went to rub my belly, and her hands were hot. So I knew someone would need to take the day off today, even before I got the thermometer out. I volunteered, since I have a backlog of data analysis to do, and I have all the necessary software on my laptop.

It has been such a lovely day, if you can permit a slightly unorthodox definition of such. We've had the whole place to ourselves - the couch, the beds, the TV, and the stereo. In the morning, Thing 2 watched little kids' shows without her big sister complaining. She lay on the couch under a blanket, and I sat next to her working on my laptop, and didn't feel like I was going to elbow anyone. Then, nap time came, and we snuggled up in the big bed, I turned on my favorite classical music station, and Thing 2 dozed off with her head against my side. Now, I'm still sitting in the bed, analyzing my latest data with my child sleeping peacefully (though still feverish)beside me.

I really am a scientist and a mommy today!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

That does sound like a nice-ish time (ish because Thing 2 is sick).

ScienceWoman said...

You have such a great attitude about this. I kinda like sick days too because of extra cuddle time and the (potential for) longer naps. But it's so hard to not stress about missed work.

Academic said...

Sounds like you really made the best of the day. I hope Thing 2 feels better soon!