Thursday, September 4, 2008

First Day of School

Thing 1 started fifth grade today. She informed me yesterday afternoon that I would be permitted to walk her into the building this morning, but that for the rest of the school year, forget about it. Just keep on walking past the door, mama.

As we approached the school, she reached over and took my hand. I suppose it was the force of habit - I have always liked to hold the kids' hands when we walk around town rather than constantly turn around in circles checking that they are still with me. But after two steps, she brushed my hand away and picked up her pace to get a couple of steps ahead of me.

I got to meet her teacher and catch up with some of the other parents I hadn't seen all summer. She settled into things quickly, quite pleased that there were not assigned seats. She dubbed the cluster of desks she and a few friends occupied the "cool table" and I barely got a hug from her before I left.

5 comments:

dissertating diva said...

I feel your pain. I've got a 4th grader. One day she doesn't want to be near me and the next day she still needs her mom. I guess it depends who's watching!

Anonymous said...

hugs... these are gonna be rough times momma. at least she knows you are there for her (even if she doesn't want to see you physically there).

ScientistMother said...

That darn independence. The silver lining is that she a very sure of herself and confident, the reflection most excellent parenting

drdrA said...

I've got a 5th grader as well- here this is when we move up to intermediate school- rotate to different classes, have lockers etc. It's been more stressful for me than it has for her- but I am definitely noticing that she displays embarrassment for certain things for the first time.

Plus- I don't know about you but I don't hear a single word from her about her day at school or what homework she has... and this is not for lack of trying!

acmegirl said...

I'm so glad I'm not alone in feeling a little pain here. I do so want her to grow in her independence, but we used to be so close, that it's hard to be treated as an embarassment. We do have our very chummy moments, though, so I just jump on that when it rolls around, and hope we reach a happy medium someday.

I'm not sure how rocky the road will be, though, since I was a difficult teenager, and therefore subject to the "mother's curse"...