Saturday, November 1, 2008

InaDWriMo Away!

Thanks to ScienceWoman's excellent suggestion in response to my last post, I am now looking forward to my first time participating in InaDWriMo. It's being hosted by Dr. Brazen Hussy this year. She explained it all so well, I think I'll just quote her:

First, a little background: International acaDemic Writing Month is the academic’s answer to NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month. It was originally created by StyleyGeek as International Dissertation Writing Month, but because so many of us who had already finished our degrees were interested in a little challenge, the D was loosely interpreted as acaDemic. This means that you can write your dissertation, a book chapter, an article, a grant proposal – anything goes, as long as it is academic. I hosted InaDWriMo 2007, and it was great fun, and it seems that you crazy kids want to do it again. So here we go!

The rules:
  1. You decide how much you want to write, and how you will keep track of it. I encourage you to make this goal challenging but not so unobtainable that you depress yourself.
  2. You can decide if you want to include revisions in your word count.
  3. Keep track on your blog, maybe using a writing meter like this one or this one.
  4. I will ask you all report your progress here, every Saturday for the month of November.
  5. On November 30, we will see how we’ve all done.


First of all, I have chosen not to have a word count goal. Instead, I have a set of tasks I wish to complete:

  1. Finish putting together the figures and captions for the paper I'm working on.
  2. Finish the "Results" section of my paper.
  3. Revise the "Methods" section to include things that I have realized I left out while writing the "Results".
  4. Write the "Discussion" section of my paper.
  5. Write an introduction for my paper.
  6. Revise the abstract I already wrote to submit for a conference so that it is appropriate for the paper.
  7. Organize all the references for the paper.
  8. Revision, revision, revision.
  9. Solicit and incorporate feedback from at least three other readers.
  10. Return to work on the partially finished document that must be finished before I can jump through an important hoop on the way to someday graduating. More detailed goals will materialize when I get to the point that I am not so worried about my research paper.

I will keep track of my progress on this blog in a qualitative way, since I have no word count goal. And I will be a good girl (for once) and update my status over at Dr. Brazen Hussy's place.

There.

5 comments:

Academic said...

It seems like everyone is writing. Perhaps I should share my major writing projects this month...

ScienceWoman said...

Yay! Good luck with your goals.

acmegirl said...

Thanks, ScienceWoman. Good luck to you, too!

Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde said...

Yay, good luck with the goals and the progress already! I found a "to-do" checklist as one of the blogger gadgets, since my InaDWriMo is also more about getting a paper together than about writing more, per se....

Custom Thesis Writing said...

this kind of blog always useful for blog readers, it helps people during research. your post is one of the same for blog readers.

Thesis Papers Writing