Monday, November 24, 2008

InaDWriMo - Update 2

I know this is late even for the fourth promised update, but, well, this is what I've got. It's not that I haven't been working on my writing, because I have. It's just been really hard lately to get a post finished and published at home lately. In fact I've got three unfinished drafts in my list of posts that are so dated they no longer make sense. I'm not going to go into all the ins and outs of why this is happening right now. I'm just going to play the "two kids" card and move on.

So, my progress:

  1. The "Methods" section has been revised to add the missing material. That's one goal done!
  2. I have written a "Discussion" section. It needs a final paragraph where I wax lyrical about what my findings might mean in terms of details I haven't actually looked at, but may do in the future.
  3. I have learned how to use EndNote, and have created a library of my references. I have used that library to create a reference list that is formatted correctly for the journal. I have added citations in 90% of the places they are required in the text I have written. I'm going to call that a second goal completed!
  4. I have revised my abstract. I have reduced it from nearly 300 words down to about 150. The limit for the journal is 175, so I could add another sentence if necessary. That makes three goals accomplished!
  5. I have given all of what I have to my PI, and have gotten back his revisions. It was mainly text editing, except for the request for a little speculation mentioned above. Woo-hoo!
  6. I have solicited feedback from one person from Dr. Prof. Genius' lab who works on something related to my project - that leaves just two more people to approach, and I'm on it!

So, that's six of my goals addressed in the past three weeks, and I'm calling it a total of six completed goals! Yay! And I've written 6120 words (about one third of which were already written before November). I've also been trying to get that last "wouldn't it be nice if..." experiment to work. After writing what I have up, it has become obvious that it would really improve the paper if I could get the data that this experiment would provide. Unfortunately, it's not really working, and it may very well be beyond the limitations of my technique, but I'm not ready to give up yet.

So, although I probably won't win the contest, I'll be going into December in pretty good shape.