Friday, December 5, 2008

Words of the Week

Well, I was planning on putting these up by Tuesday, but some unexpected exhaustion has kept me from posting this week.

Most evenings, I make dinner, and we eat together as a family. I try to spend time with the Things from dinner time until bedtime - sometimes we watch a little television, but I also get to enjoy listening to Thing 1 practice her cello while helping Thing 2 do a puzzle, having a laugh with the girls while they take a bath, reading a story and then snuggling with Thing 2 while she goes to sleep. I love our evening time together. Sometimes I feel as though I'd like to rush it when I have some work I want to get to after they are asleep, but they usually keep me focused on what's important. Occasionally, as I cuddle the warm fragrant body of my freshly bathed toddler, I find myself dozing off. But when I'm relatively well rested, I can usually manage to stay awake until Thing 1 has fallen asleep. Then I get up and go about my business for a couple hours before going to my own bed. This is prime time for blogging if I haven't brought home any work. But lately, I have found it really hard to resist the soporific snugglefest. I've just been too tired.

But it's Friday night, already. It's time to get on with it. And so, here are the words of the week for the week of December 1:

  • proboscis: an elongated appendage from the head of an animal
    "Watch the butterfly suck juice from the fruit through its proboscis."

  • segment: a separate piece of something
    "Look! I can break the orange into segments. Would you like one?

  • quagmire: a difficult, precarious, or entrapping position
    "You can call me 'trouble' if I can call you 'quagmire'."

3 comments:

Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde said...

I love these words of the week. Reminds me of third grade, when my awesome teacher gave a spelling test (without first giving us the words....) on Mondays. If you aced the spelling test with normal words, you earned a new cool list of words to spell for Friday's test. I learned all kinds of words. Spaghetti, moustache, Czechoslovakia...man, those were the days.

ADmin said...

You can find more than one illustration for every over here focus as you can pick the most suitable ones when you are at long last keeping in touch with it.

a.danna said...

That's the kind of quality family time I'd like to have when I'll be able to grow my own family. You managed to describe a perfect evening, these are the things that really matter. I want to write a paper about this and this article writing services is going to help me.